Youth Yellow Pages

The Youth Yellow Pages was developed by Howard Center’s First Call for Children and Families program, now First Call for Chittenden County. You can get information from the Youth Yellow Pages or by calling First Call for Chittenden County at (802) 488-7777. First Call provides phone support and outreach services to any Chittenden County resident,  24 hours/day, 7 days a week, 365 days/year.

Anyone can call First Call for Chittenden County for support, information about services in the community, or for help in a crisis. What makes something a crisis? If it is a crisis to you, we will help no matter how big or small the problem might be. Sometimes our answering service may get the call; if this happens they will take your name and phone number and a First Call clinician will call you back shortly. When people call First Call we will ask questions about what is happening and what we can do to help.

Print Download Bookmark

Worried about yourself or a friend?


Many youth have been exposed to alcohol or other drugs. There might be many reasons that you or someone you know would use substances. Sometimes people use substances because others around them are doing it or they are trying to make feelings go away. Like many choices, using substances can have consequences. Using substances can cause you to get in trouble with the police, at school, or with your parents and it can impact your physical or mental health. When people use substances their ability to make safe decisions can be affected, this can be dangerous. When people use substances it can also cause problems in their relationships with their friends or family members. There are many places to help people who are struggling with their own or someone else’s substance use.


Here is a list of programs you can call:

Centerpoint Adolescent Treatment Services 488-7711
Howard Center Mental Health (Ages 18+) 488-6100
Spectrum Counseling 864-7423 ext 310
U VM Substance Abuse Treatment (Ages 18+) 656-8714 or 800-377-8714
Al-Anon 860-8388
Alcoholics Anonymous 860-8382
Green Mountain Area Narcotics Anonymous 773-5575
Act 1/Bridge (24 Hours) 488-6425
Maple Leaf Farm (Ages 18+) 800 254-5659 or 899- 2911
Brattleboro Retreat 800 738-7328

What if you think a friend is suicidal? You can show them you care by listening, staying calm, and not judging their feelings. Just ask, “Are you thinking about killing yourself?” or “Are you thinking of suicide?” This is not something you should keep to yourself. Just the fact that you are worried about your friend means that you need to take it seriously.

Any person that others think is having suicidal thoughts or any person making a suicidal statement should be seen immediately by a mental health professional, guidance counselor or doctor.

You can be a big help, as you may be the only person your friend has told. You can listen and show your support and make a real difference, but you should not handle it alone. If your friend refuses to get help, tell his or her parents, teacher, counselor, or other trusted adult. You can call First Call for Chittenden County at 488-7777 to get information on how to get help.

What if it’s YOU?

If you are thinking of suicide, be a friend to yourself. Tell someone and ask for help. You do not have to deal with the pain alone!

For emergency help 24 hours a day call
First Call for Chittenden County 488-7777
National Suicide Hotline 800-273-talk(8255)
Police & Ambulance 911


There are three different kinds of abuse: emotional, physical and sexual. Emotional abuse is hurting others with words, physical abuse is hurting someone’s body, and sexual abuse is unwanted sexual touching or behavior. Abuse can happen in any relationship. For example, child abuse is abuse between an adult and a child. Domestic violence is what people call abuse between a couple. No one deserves to be hurt. It is painful to be a victim of abuse, but it is also painful to witness violence. Please talk to an adult you trust for help. People in certain occupations, such as teachers, doctors and child care providers, are required by law to report suspected abuse to the police or the Department of Children and Families (DCF). Sometimes DCF does an “investigation” or “assessment” to identify the problem and help protect children from abuse. In serious cases, the police or court may be involved. Always report abuse –whether sexual, emotional, or physical – to a trusted adult.

Here is a list of programs you can call
Victim Advocates   863-2865
Women Helping Battered Women 658-3131
DCF Centralized Intake 800-649-5285
Domestic Violence Emergency Hotline (Child Abuse Hotline) 800-4-A-CHILD




Bullying is when someone tries to manipulate, coerce or harass another person by any means, direct or indirect. Bullying includes things like name calling, teasing, intimidation, threats, using force or pressure to make someone do something, putting something in someone’s locker or getting someone in trouble. There are laws and school rules about bullying in Vermont. Being bullied is often a hurtful, scary experience; it’s ok to ask for help. Bullying is not ok in person, on the computer, phone or through texting. If you are being bullied, talk to an adult you trust.


Youth who have a parent who is in jail or has been in jail sometimes feel alone or isolated. Having a parent go to jail can disrupt many parts of people’s lives. You may wonder what is going to happen to your parent, or at your home and you may not have all the facts. At First Call for Chittenden County, we have a part of our program called Safety Net to help children and families where a parent or caregiver has been incarcerated. Just call 488-7777.


Life has ups and downs. Everyone feels down or sad sometimes. If you feel down but are still able to do the things you normally do and that feeling goes away after a couple days, this could be a part of the ups and downs of life. You may want to check in with someone you trust or find ways to manage your stress and feelings during those times.
If you have long periods of sadness with or without a reason, changes in eating, sleeping, and a loss of interest in activities that used to be fun, you may be experiencing depression. Some people who are depressed have so little energy that it is hard to get out of bed in the morning. A person who is depressed may feel helpless, hopeless, or bad about themselves. If you see these symptoms in yourself or a friend, get help. Talk to a school counselor, a trusted adult, or you may want to see a mental health counselor.


When you lose someone or something you care about, it may hurt a lot, and it may hurt for a long time. You may have feelings you don’t understand. The feelings and process we go through after a loss is called grieving. Besides feeling lonely and sad, you may feel guilty and/or blame yourself for something you did or did not do to prevent the loss. You may be sorry that you did not express your feelings to that person. You may also have trouble understanding your behaviors. Sometimes the pain is so great it feels unbearable. Talking with someone who cares and who is willing to listen can help you sort through your feelings as you grieve your loss. It can help to talk with a counselor who is trained to help people deal with death and other losses.

VNA Grief and Bereavement Services    658-1900

First Call for Chittenden County   488-7777
Howard Center CYFS Intake   488-7777
Associates at the Gables 876-1100
Associates in Psychology   863-6114
UVM Behavior Therapy & Psychotherapy   656-2661
Cedar Brook Associates   879-5333
Centerpoint Adolescent Treatment 488-7711
VT Center for Children, Youth & Families – FAHC 847-4563 
 Champlain Valley Psychiatry   651-7561
Counseling Connection   264-5333
Networks 863-2495
New England Counseling and Trauma Center 878-4990
Northeastern Family Institute 658-0040 x1042
 Otter Creek Associates 865-3450
 Partners In Psychiatry   876-4000
 Spectrum Youth & Family Services 864-7423 ext 310
 Stone House Associates 654-7607

For additional resources, please call First Call for Chittenden County, consult the yellow pages, your Doctor, or


A healthy diet and regular exercise are two important ways to keep your body healthy. Eating or not eating to feel better about yourself, or to avoid feelings, is not healthy. Your body needs balanced nutrition and exercise in order to function at its best. Talk with a doctor about the best eating plan for you.

When people eat in an unhealthy way for an extended period of time, their doctor might say they have an Eating Disorder. Eating Disorders can be very harmful to your body and may be life-threatening. They are, however, treatable with appropriate help from a doctor and/or a mental health professional.

Adams Center for Mind and Body 859-1577
Overeaters Anonymous 863-2655

Refer back to resources in the Mental Health and Counseling Resources section. Many trained clinicians are competent at dealing with a variety of eating disorders.

If you think you might need a Doctor


What are they?

STDs are diseases that are transmitted through sexual contact, and they can also be called STI-Sexually Transmitted Infection. STDs are most common among adolescents and young adults and, if untreated, can cause serious health problems.

How do you get an STD?

STDs are transmitted through the exchange of sexual fluids and HIV/AIDS is transmitted, primarily, through the exchange of sexual fluids and blood. You can get an STD through unprotected sexual contact with an infected partner.

What to do if you think you have an STD or think you have come into contact w/ a partner who is infected

If you have sexual contact w/ a partner who you think might be infected with an STD, GET TESTED!!! Someone can have an STD even if they have NO physical signs. STD tests are confidential and your parent’s permission is NOT required for you to get tested. The longer you wait to get treated for an STD, the more damage the STD can do to your body.

How to prevent getting an STD and how to protect yourself

  1. Abstinence/not having sex is the best way not to get an STD
  2. If you do choose to have sexual contact, BE SAFE - use protection with every sexual act (protection means: a condom for anal/vaginal sex and a dental dam/condom for oral sex; you can get these things at community health centers and Planned Parenthood for free)
  3. Not engaging in sexual contact w/ people who have signs of an STD, people who you think have an STD, or people who engage in risky behavior (such as having multiple sexual partners, practicing unsafe sex, or doing IV drugs)
  4. If you are sexually active, you should get an STD test periodically and ask your partner(s) to get tested too

Be Safe!

For more information about preventing or treating STDs contact your own doctor or call:
Community Health Center 864-6309
Planned Parenthood 878-7232
Spectrum Health Clinic 652-1080
Vermont CARES 863-2437 or 800-649-2437
HIV/AIDS Program Hotline 800 882-2437
STD & Hepatitis Hotline   800 244-7639
Care Act HIV/AIDS Programs 863-7245

RU12, Spectrum Drop-In and VT CARES provide free HIV testing (with 20 minute results) and condoms.


Are you feeling sick or having worries about your physical health? Everyone needs to have proper treatment and care to improve their well-being. If you are feeling sick or feeling like something is not right with your body, here are some places that can help:

Places you can get help
Community Health Center 864-6309 
Fletcher Allen Health Care 847-0000 or 800-358-1144
Spectrum Health Clinic 864-6309
Safe Harbor Clinic 860-4310

If you think you are pregnant, or someone you know thinks she is pregnant, there are places that can help. It is important to have a pregnancy test as soon as possible. Tests done at home are not always accurate, so it is important to get tested at a medical clinic.

Pregnancy tests, medical care, decision-making counseling, birth control or education are available at the following places:

Get Help
Birthright 865-0056 or 800-550-4900 
Community Health Center  864-6309
Visiting Nurse Association – Family Support Services   860-4420
Lund Family Center 864-7467
Milton Family Center 893-1457
Planned Parenthood 878-7232
Spectrum Health Clinic 864-6309
Vermont Gynecology (formerly VT Women’s Choice) 428-4663

Sexual Assault is any unwanted sexual contact forced upon a person, male or female. While we usually think of a sexual assault as a stranger attacking someone in a public place, statistics show that a large proportion of sexual assaults are committed by a friend or relative of the victim. If you have told someone you do not want to be sexual with him/her, and he/she forces sexual contact on you, this is sexual assault. Substances may be used in some cases of date rape. If you suspect that drugs may have been slipped to you please consult with your physician or a local emergency room. Victims experience the same physical and emotional violation from a friend as from a stranger. Even though an incident may have happened a long time ago, the effects may continue to bother you, and there are counselors who can help.

If you have been assaulted, IT’S NOT YOUR FAULT – contact your local law enforcement or go to the hospital as soon as possible after an assault.

If you were assaulted and want to talk to someone about it call:
HOPE Works (formerly Women’s Rape Crisis) 24 hr hotline  863-1236 or 800- 489-7273
Safe Space 863-0003 or 866-869-7341
Women Helping Battered Women 658-3131
Chittenden Unit for Special Investigations 652-6800
DCF Centralized Intake 800-649-5285



There are places you can go to get a meal or snack provided to you if you do not have enough food at home. Please call for hours of operation and services offered.

Get Help
Salvation Army -64 Main St Burlington 864-6991 
Chittenden Emergency Food Shelf -228 North Winooski Ave. Burlington 658-7939 
Spectrum Drop-in  862-5396

Developing your spiritual side can be a life-long process of self discovery and learning. There are all sorts of beliefs about what spirituality means. Some people believe it has to do with religion and going to church; some people say that it means finding peace in nature. Others think that it is finding meaning for life within yourself, and yet others think that being spiritual means that you believe in a power higher than yourself.

Sometimes there are differences between what you believe and what others believe. It is important to remember that everyone’s spirituality is important to them. It may be easier than you think to find some things that are similar about your beliefs. Through this natural process it might be helpful to talk with a trusted adult, or to go to a place of worship.


Stress is something everyone experiences at some point. Stress can come from everyday things like having a cold or doing a class presentation or from things like having an argument with someone. Sometimes it is easy to identify the source of stress, and at other times, there does not seem to be a particular cause, and it may be the build up of many smaller things. Stress can be experienced physically and emotionally in a number of ways. Some of the things you might experience are irritability and distractibility, anxiety or worrying, stomach aches, or a change in your sleeping or eating habits. Sometimes distracting yourself from what is causing you stress, by doing things such as eating well, exercise, getting enough sleep or talking to friends or family may be all you need. Relaxation techniques have been developed in which a person imagines a peaceful scene, or focuses on breathing to bring about a mental state much like meditation. Talking to a healthy adult can also help. Using unhealthy ways to manage stress often leads to more stress – please ask for help.


As you get older, you may be more aware of sexual feelings. This is a typical part of growing up, and you may notice changes in your thinking, how you are feeling, and in your body. Many teenagers are sexually active in some way, and many teenagers are not. You need to know and learn what feels right and makes sense for you. It is normal for teenagers to think about their sexuality and sexual identity. All people have a sex, gender, and sexual orientation. There are many supportive people in our communities and many resources for you.

If you need additional support or have questions, ask!  You are not alone.


Get Help
Outright Vermont 865-9677 
RU12  860-7812
Samara Fund of Vermont 388-3355 x295 

Youth and the Community


There are services available to help you get an education. All you have to do is ask for help. If you find that you are behind in your work, your grades are low, or you don’t understand the material, ask your teacher for help. If you are not currently attending school, you may also contact the school counselor in the town where you live.

Interested in getting a job? There are lots of different jobs for teens. You probably know someone who babysits, or mows lawns for the neighbors. Maybe you’ve seen young people behind the counter at fast food restaurants, department stores or grocery stores. If you have a career interest, like architecture or auto mechanics, try calling a business and talking to them about any ways you might help out. Volunteer work has almost as many benefits as paid work. You can help at the hospital, after school sports programs, the humane society, or many other places.

Get help finding a job
Northlands Job Corps 800-733-5627 or 877-2922 
Spectrum  862-5396
Vermont Family Network  800-800-4005
ReSOURCE – Youthbuild 658-4143 x 39
VT Youth Conservation Corps 434-3969
VocRehab Vermont 1-866-VRWORKS

Laws exist to protect the community, people’s safety and property. Breaking laws can have consequences. This can include arrest, fines, community service, probation or being placed outside of your home by the Department of Children and Families or the police. There are laws about almost everything.

The following are legal resources for you
Lawyers Referral Service 1-800-639-7036  
VT Legal Aid, Inc 863-5620
Probate Court 651-1518



Sometimes it feels hard to be where you are. If you are having trouble at home and feel like running away - talk to an adult you trust. Running away can be dangerous. Be careful of strangers offering friendship, drugs or alcohol, or a place to stay. There are options to make a safe plan for yourself to get some space or to be in a different environment. This may be the home of a friend, family member or a shelter.

Get Help
First Call   488-7777
National Runaway Switchboard
(Referrals to shelter resources, food, medical care and
Greyhound Bus home free program)  800-RUNAWAY
(800 786-2929)
(7 days a week overnight emergency shelter for teens
who have runaway from home or are homeless)  862-5396 x 325 (x202 after 5pm)


It is not easy to live on your own but community help and support is available to you. There are agencies that will help you with housing, jobs, food and counseling. If you want to look into getting emancipated (When a minor has achieved independence from his or her parents) you can find the paperwork and information at the Costello Courthouse at 32 Cherry Street in Burlington. 

Get help with housing, jobs, food and counseling
Chittenden Community Action 863-6248
King Street Youth Center 862-6736
Spectrum Drop-In 864-3641

A mentor is a person who provides support, guidance, and teaches you life skills. Mentors enjoy spending time with children and teenagers and are positive role models. There are many different types of school or community mentoring programs in the area and some are related to employment or specific activities. Sometimes it helps to have another adult to support you.

If you are interested in having a mentor, call:
Mobius  658-1888
Community Friends Mentoring  488-6650



A person’s culture is defined by his or her values, practices and family background. Sometimes cultural similarities and differences are visible, but often they are not so obvious. Everyone deserves to be treated with respect. You may feel isolated or as though you’re the only one who identifies a certain way. You’re not alone. There are people in your community and in the area who can be a support and a resource.

Support and Resources
Association of Africans Living in VT 985-3106
Islamic Society of VT 655-6711
Tibetan Association of VT 578-6708
Somali Bantu Community Association of VT 658-2683
Vermont Refugee Resettlement Program 655-1963

Are you looking for a fun, safe place to spend your time and make some new friends? Get some energy out, learn something new, meet new people your age, and have fun. Take a ride on the bike path, checkout the skate park, or contact the following places:

Get some energy out, learn something new, meet new people your age, and have fun
YMCA 862-9622
Boys & Girls Club of Burlington 864-5263
Vermont Special Olympics 863-5222 or 800-639-1603
Burlington Kids After School Program 355-4014
Underground Teen Center-Winooski   655-1392 x10
Talent Skate Park 864-2069
Petra Cliffs 657-3872
Essex Teen Center 878-6981

Important Phone Numbers

Fire, Police, Ambulance 911
First Call for Chittenden County 488-7777
Poison Control 800-222-1222
Department of Children and Families 800-649-5285


Police Departments
Burlington Police Department 658-2704
Charlotte Police Department 878-7111
Colchester Police Department 264-5556
Essex Police Department 878-8331
Milton Police Department 893-2424
Richmond Police Department 434-2153
Shelburne Police Department 985-8051
South Burlington Police Department 658-1050
Vermont State Police 878-7111
Williston Police Department 878-6611
Winooski Police Department 655-0221